CT Replacement Window Tips from a CT Contractor
Why Should I Replace My Windows?
If your home is fifteen years or older, and still has its original windows, it’s time to take a look at if you need to replace them. Did you know that single-pane window glass is the least efficient type of window, and these are the most common type of window on older homes?
Replacing your windows can have many benefits whether it’s for aesthetics, finances, or even security. Replacing your home’s windows is a great way to give your home a fresh new look. Take time to consider various styles, shapes, and colors that appeal to you. Different windows can even offer your home a variety of benefits.
Windows are one of the best features of any home because they can compliment its aesthetic appeal. The right windows can supply the homeowner with an enjoyable and beautiful view, all while protect a home and it’s contents from various weather conditions, including severe situations.
Windows can even increase your home’s energy efficiency. You can save money by purchasing windows with extra panes of glass. Triple-paned windows can provide significant energy savings including saving on utility bills such as heating and air conditioning. Usually there is a gas like argon or krypton between each pane that helps with insulation.That means it can keep heat, and cool air in throughout the year leading to less expensive utility bills.
Replace or Repair?
If your windows have any of the following problems then it may be time to replace:
- Cracked or broken glass
- Rotting, splitting, or sagging sill or sash
- Your home feels drafty
- You’ve seen an increase in energy or utility bills
- Loose, cracked, rotted, or missing casing
- Excessive water infiltration
- Impossible or difficult to open
- Interior trim damage
- Broken outside or inside sash or jambs
Tips for Choosing the Right Replacement Windows for Your Home:
- Research your project before you start it. Becoming an educated consumer is an important detail when remodeling your home. When ever you are making a major investment, such as purchasing new exterior windows, you want to make sure you are making a smart decision. If you don’t feel as though you have the right know-how to make that decision on your own, involve a contractor to go over the optimal options you have for the well fair of your home.
- Create a budget. Creating a budget for yourself that you feel comfortable with is essential. It is also imperative that you find a contractor who is willing to work with you and your budget!
- Choose a style that you will love. Most replacement windows can last over 15 years, and there are a lot of styles, colors, and materials that replacement windows can use. It’s important that you choose a color and style that you know you will love for years to come.
- Take a look at product reviews. Like you would before any purchase, it’s a great idea to do a little research about what it is you are purchasing. When looking for replacement windows look for products that have received positive feedback for their functionality, longevity, and performance.
- Make sure your replacement windows come from a reputable manufacturer. It’s always important to know where your windows have come from, and how they are made. This ensures that your windows will be long-lasting, through weather and other types of wear and tear. Choose your windows from a specialty dealer, or home improvement company that deals with a certified and reputable manufacturer!
- Warranties. Things happen, and as contractors we understand that some products may be faulty regardless of manufacturer and installation. Considering windows that come with specialty warranties can save you a large headache in the long run.
- Talk to a contractor about the benefits of different windows. Windows are manufactured uniquely, and there are many different types of windows. If you are looking for windows that are easy to clean, or are more energy efficient, speaking with a contractor can help!
If you choose to hire a contractor, make sure you ask for references, estimates, detailed contracts and warranties before officially beginning any project with them. If you need any assistance with an installation or repair, call on Fiderio & Sons today!