A Fun, Family-Focused Kitchen
By margaretann Feb 20, 2020
Creating a Family-Friendly Kitchen, Perfect For Time Spent Well Together
With the perfect mixture of design and function, families are beginning to remodel their kitchen to include their children and passion for baking. Time spent entertaining among friends and extended family has become more important for growing families and therefore kitchens have become the activity center of the home. For some, a kitchen remodel may include moving walls and rearranging the layout to improve functionality. Others might be interested in adding an island for comfortable seating, or a work station where they can supervise their children’s computer activity or help with the weekly homework assignments.
Our designers have worked with clients who have requested a gourmet, chef inspired theme and others who have focused entirely on creating a child-friendly space where the kids could fix their own after-school snacks. Interestingly, at Fiderio & Sons, we have found that many homeowners plan their kitchen remodeling projects around their upcoming holiday plans. It seems the holidays are the time of year that homeowners want to show off their home, and gather among those most important to them. “Family recipes and holiday decorations set the perfect stage for introducing a newly remodeled kitchen to family and friends” according to our experienced designer Jonathan Fiderio.
Some suggestions and ideas for your next kitchen remodel:
- A baker’s height countertop
- Easy-to-clean surfaces – Quartz surfaces, a man-made product, are durable, not as porous as natural stone (so they are less likely to stain).
- A work station & countertop that is lower and gives children ample workspace
- A family seating area, such as a comfortable bench or dinner nook
- Add a computer work station, flat-screen television or USB charging ports
- Kitchen island & seating
- Open shelving storage
- Writable surfaces for a family dashboard and organization center that can be hidden away in a cabinet space, containing calendars, a chalkboard and more