Deck Remodeling CT
By Your Fiderio Expert Feb 26, 2014
Resurfacing your old CT Deck
Old CT decks are almost always made of wood and require a lot of upkeep. The boards can rot, they attract termites, they give you splinters, they fade, they stain. The list goes on. Deck Remodeling in CT not only refreshes the appearance of your deck, but it is also done with better materials that do not rot or warp or cause any of the other nuisances we mentioned. For deck remodeling CT, we recommend composite decking. Trex manufactures decking that won’t stain or fade. It is easy to wash, and it has a rich wood grain finish that will maintain its appearance for years to come. This is the material we recommend for custom decks and porches, as well as for resurfacing old CT decks.
How much work does my old deck need?
The extent of deck remodeling can range from an entire demolition and new design, to simply resurfacing worn-out boards. Deck contractors in CT will examine the foundation and deck framing system. If they are intact, we can simply replace the walking surfaces and deck railings. We may need to adjust the height of your deck railings to meet modern building code requirements, but as long as the framing and foundation are intact, deck resurfacing is a quick and easy project.
Deck Remodeling CT: The Process
- Check joist spacing and condition of the framing. If you do not know how to do this, consult deck contractors ct.
- Obtain building permits
- Remove the old decking and railing. Wear gloves to protect your self from inevitable splinter attack.
- Use a leveler to ensure that joists are even. Shim or shave as necessary.
- Install the new decking. Refer to the installation guide to ensure proper spacing.
- Install rail posts and post sleeves
- Assemble the railing and balusters
- Install any decorative elements
Why Hire Deck Contractors CT
The process of deck remodeling sounds easy, and for experienced builders, it is. To put it simply, we have better tools and more experience. We are familiar with the materials and hardware, and we have done it many times. The following is a short list of reasons to hire professionals:
- We will get it done faster
- We are familiar with zoning laws and building codes
- Your deck will last longer. We can guarantee straighter angles, deeper posts, and tighter screws.
- Warranty protection: Improper installation voids warranties.
Again, we recommend composite decking from Trex. The chart below from Trex compares common decking materials:
Deck remodeling in CT is one of the least invasive home renovations. It is not quite the season for deck remodeling, but it’s a great time to begin planning and budgeting. If you are considering doing the project yourself to save money, we suggest you at least speak to a professional first. We can help you understand the full cost of the project, and we can probably help you figure out ways to save some money as well. If you hire someone, you will be adding labor costs, but that does not necessarily increase the overall cost of the project. We have the skills to remodel ct decks efficiently, and most importantly, expert installation will prevent the warranty from being voided. That alone has a lot of value. It can’t hurt to have a consult, especially when it’s free!