Vinyl Siding CT: Strengths and Weaknesses for Winter Performance
Your home’s siding must live up to may expectations: it must be strong enough to withstand the harsh New England elements, and it needs to be aesthetically pleasing so that it makes your house look good, of course. Vinyl siding is one of the most popular cladding options in Connecticut, as it is durable, relatively inexpensive, and is offered in a wide range of colors. Yet, it’s important that you maintain your siding in the winter. There is a small amount of space between your home’s outer surface, and the back of the siding, and it’s your responsibility to make sure nothing gets inside this space. So, this post will briefly discuss some of vinyl siding’s strengths and weaknesses in regards to winter weather performance.
Vinyl Siding Winter Performance Strengths
- Comfort Savings: Vinyl siding is adept at increasing your home’s energy efficiency rating, working to keep you and your family cozy during cold weather, while also improving the value of your home.
- Minimal Winter Maintenance: Modern vinyl siding is designed to withstand severe winter weather year after year, protecting your home’s exterior from warping and rotting. On top of that, you won’t need to re-finish your home’s siding after a few seasons of cold weather, like you need to with other siding materials.
- Reduced Exterior Noise: Vinyl siding offers superior insulation (especially when it’s installed with foam backing), helping to soundproof your home. This works to reduce the amount of noise you hear from winter storms, offering a cozy atmosphere.
Vinyl Siding Winter Performance Weaknesses
- Cracks And Weak Spots: Water can cause expensive problems for your home if it gets into places where it’s not supposed to be (pretty much anywhere inside). If you have water damage, you can expect, mold, mildew, and an increased pest presence. Check to make sure your siding doesn’t have any spots where water can leak into your home.
- Can Become Brittle Over Time: Cold weather has been known to cause damage to vinyl siding, as sub-freezing temperatures can make vinyl siding brittle. Unfortunately, brittle siding makes it difficult to repair in cold weather, so if you require winter home repair on your vinyl siding, you should avoid attempting to do it yourself. Professional CT siding contractors will know how to use specialized techniques that are necessary to keep your brittle siding from breaking.
Winter Home Repair for Vinyl Siding CT
Maybe you let snow pile up against the house. Maybe the wind from winter storms has ripped your siding clean off.
If for some reason your vinyl siding breaks, you have to buy replacements since there’s no way to repair it. Call Fiderio & Sons if you have any siding work to be done in winter, because it will save you money in the long run.
If you want to prevent brutal winter weather from damaging your siding, make sure you clear snow off the sides of your home, and perform routine visual inspections, especially after bad weather.
Fiderio & Sons | CT Siding Contractors
Fiderio & Sons is one of the leading CT home improvement companies, so if you think your home’s siding is past it’s prime, stop by for a visit or contact us at 203-237-0350203-237-0350. Check out the link below to save money on a new vinyl siding CT project or vinyl siding repair.